Thursday, February 13, 2014





Check out this story from my friend Haleigh.


I was wrapping up some homework last week when I decided to log into my student account on the college website. Even though I had paid my tuition bill on time, I decided to check out my financial info page just for kicks. To my total surprise, I found a $400 fee that was due in two weeks! I did a little more digging and found out that my state grant had been removed because of some paperwork for renewal that was ‘never received,’ which really confused me because I had filled out the papers and mailed them back to PHEAA the morning after I received them. $400 may not be a huge deal in the scope of what college costs nowadays, and it wouldn’t have “broken the bank,” but it’s still a lot of money to me. I’m paying my way through school without any help, so I’ve been trying to be especially careful with how I handle my savings lately.

I actually need to rephrase that: on the
human plane, I’m paying my way through school without any help. The reality is that I’m attending a Big Ten school for a fraction of the price because God told me to trust Him, and when I did, He blessed that trust and provided for me in a crazy way. I started praying two years ago that if God wanted me to go to college, He would provide a situation that I could pay for completely independently and leave after four years without debt. By all accounts, the answer to that prayer shouldn’t have been where I ended up...but I’m really glad God isn’t limited by “all accounts!” Part of His answer to prayer was providing work for me, which I don’t mind in the least. But even with all this, the $400 surprise fee caught me off guard to say the least. Since I just paid for last semester’s tuition, I was hoping to be able to focus on saving up for next semester with my recent earnings, not on extra setbacks.

I went to a prayer and praise meeting that Saturday night with some Christian friends from church, school, and elsewhere. While we were praying, I asked God to cover my fee. I remember praying something to the effect of “If I have to pay it, I’m OK with that because I know it’s not the end of the world and You’re going to provide either way, but can You please help PHEAA find my paperwork? Please cover the fee, Father. In Jesus’ name, amen.”

On Tuesday, after my college was dug out of the ice, I was walking out of a class and passed the Financial Aid office. Someone was talking with the lady at the desk, so I assumed they were busy. Since the missing paperwork was sent to PHEAA, I also assumed that the school wouldn’t be able to help, so I almost kept walking. Then I thought, “Why not?” and went into the office.

The lady was busy, but the head of the department just
happened to be free. I went into his office and explained my situation as best as I could. He listened very patiently and then offered to make a phone call on my behalf. At first, I got a little nervous because he started talking with the other person about papers due in October, which I never received...but I remember something in my heart just kind of saying “Wait for it!” A few minutes later, the director hung up the phone...and told me that the bill was a mistake! My paperwork had been received, but for some reason, the school had never been notified, so the grant had been removed in error. Five minutes later, I left the office with my grant restored and the fee completely covered.

I didn’t remember until I was driving home that I’d prayed about it at the Saturday meeting. That’s not to say prayers only are answered in a prayer group, although there’s definitely something special about gathering with a couple other people in the name of the Lord. It did remind me, though, how God cares about the little things and how much He loves to hear us pray specifically. He certainly doesn’t have to answer prayers in the way I ask Him to... but if we can ask our earthly dads for specific things without feeling awkward, who says we cannot come to our Heavenly Father humbly with the same kinds of requests? I’m not perfect by any means. I have a lot to learn and to grow in still. However, God has given me His Spirit, and He’s teaching me to pray as
He wants me to pray and to trust Him with the results. Going forward in the confidence that comes from knowing Him in that way has been absolutely great, and I hope my story encourages you to seek God out and trust Him more with the obstacles (big or small) in your own life, whoever you may be!


“But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.” ~ Matthew 6:35

No comments:

Post a Comment