Tuesday, March 4, 2014







It had been a long day. What, between school and then losing my backpack. Man, I was tired. I decided to take an early nap that evening, just out of pure exhaustion. I woke up, yawned, and talked to Noele, my sister, and my nieces. When they left, I jumped on my computer and started to do my favorite thing, music production. I got a chat from my friend and self-chosen-adopted-sister (it’s a long story) Emmie Moffit.
Emmie
oh good
Stevie Parris
hahaha

Emmie
I see you're listening to Marina and the Diamonds
very good


As I talked with Emmie and messed with one of my songs, I slowly became aware of the aroma of the fire that my dad had lit earlier that evening downstairs. I was really focused on the vocal track I was working on at that time, so it took a while. Eventually it became really noticeable. “Wow, that’s powerful,” I thought to myself. Getting up, I made my way down to the family room where the fireplace was, figuring that one of the logs had toppled out. In fact, I vaguely remembered hearing a noise like that in the last hour. I trot down the single-stair gap, and see the log toppled against the crosshatch grate, through a decent amount of smoke. I examine more closely and see sparks eating away at the cardboard box next to the fireplace full of the materials my dad uses to help start fires.
I panicked, but years of homeschool-fire-training kicked in. I looked around desperately for something to put the fire out with, and immediately saw a couple cases of water bottles, sitting at the top of the stair. Jumping up and grabbing a couple of water bottles, I ran back and poured them over the box, and smoke bellowed through the open door. After the box seemed sufficiently doused, I picked it up, took it outside into the snow, and poured the last of the water over the box. It was still smoking slightly, but I figured that was just the remnants of the fire dying.

Going back inside I jumped back on my computer, and told Emmie about what had happened.
Stevie Parris
I almost died
like, I actually might have died
I suddenly realized it was really smokey in my house
I'm like wow
that smell is powerful
Emmie
what the heck
when was this?
like, just now
Stevie Parris
SO
what happened to you today.
Haha

At this point, about ten minutes later, I looked out the window again. The box was on fire. Part of me thoroughly enjoyed the sight of fire, while the rest panicked as I scrambled back down, more water bottles in hand toward the fire. Four water bottles, much thrashing in the snow, and a bunch of freezing fingers later, I had taken care of the box. I’m still upset that the snow did absolutely nothing to douse the fire.
Stevie Parris
so
I looked out the window..
the box was on fire.

On another note, God’s grace is written all over this situation. Firstly, I took a nap, which made it so that I wasn’t as tired later in the evening, meaning I stayed up later than I would have. Then I realized that the box was on fire. I could easily have not realized that it was smoking until it had caught the carpet on fire. I am fully capable of such ignorance. And then lastly, the fact that I looked out the window and realized the box had caught fire. It’s not likely that it would harm anything, but who knows. The point is, I could have died last night. My family could have died last night. However, God took care of us. Clearly our time here is not finished, so take heart Christian. The Lord is watching over you, and you will not go home until he has decided it is time.
“The Lord your God is with you, the Mighty Warrior who saves. He will take great delight in you; in his love he will no longer rebuke you, but will rejoice over you with singing.”

~ Zephaniah 3:17

No comments:

Post a Comment