Saturday, September 21, 2013




Yesterday was the general welcome day at Drexel. As many of you know, I start this coming Monday, and I'm super excited to begin the school year. However, when I got my schedule a few weeks back, I deflated a little bit.

I had night classes.

Now, I'm not usually one to complain about things like that, and I really wouldn't have made a fuss at all, except that I'm also a commuter, which means I can't just go back to my dorm between classes. Massive two-three hour breaks, not much time for anything. Yeah, not pretty. But the way I saw it, if God wanted me there for Calculus from 6:00-7:50, I knew he had his reasons. However, it would be a whole lot easier for me to give up my lunch period then to stay late at night.

I had another reason for not wanting my classes to run that late. Unfortunately, Drexel Students for Christ, the Christian organization I'm going to be a part of, has its main meeting on Thursdays at 7:15. I have Calculus till 7:50. That basically meant I was going to miss worship every single meeting. Many of you know, just how much I love to worship in song. This college scheduling thing was looking worse by the minute.

So, I decided I was going to talk to my Academic Adviser, see if maybe just maybe I could get into an earlier class. Technically, we aren't supposed to ask for any schedule changes unless something is really wrong, like not being able to eat, etc, but I had nothing to lose by asking. However, I decided I had a better chance if I waited until I was on campus, so I waited until this past Wednesday, September 18th, for the Honors welcome day. I figured I'd be able to talk to her between events or something. I gave her a call during one of my breaks, she wasn't available, fall orientation was also running the same day, so there was no way I was getting in contact with her. I shrugged it off, and decided to try sending her an email, disappointed but still hoping that maybe it was within God's will that I would get an earlier Calculus period.

I sent her this email on Thursday at 4:43 PM.


"Hey Jennifer,
First I'd just like to say how I excited I am for this school year! I'm disappointed I didn't get to meet you at orientation this summer, but I look forward to talking to you in person, and seeking your help and advice throughout my years at Drexel.

I tried to see if I could get in contact with you yesterday, as I was on campus for Honors Orientation, but you were busy with fall orientation. I want to talk to you about my schedule. I know we're not supposed to ask for any changes unless we literally can't eat, I wanted to discuss it with you. I'm a commuter, and I have large blocks of time where nothing is scheduled, and on top of that, I have evening classes. If I lived on campus, I wouldn't even mention it, I would just bite the bullet. I am, after all, a freshman, and I know that scheduling of the entire student body is a far greater priority than my time. However, since I am commuting I figured I would at least make an appeal for a change. My biggest concern is my Calc class at night, as it makes me arrive home later at night. I would quite honestly rather have Hwan Yong Lee's MATH 121 - 011 in the middle of my day, than have a lunch break on Wednesdays.

Even if my schedule is locked down, and there is no hope of changing the time of the class, I'd still like to meet you and talk with you this first week of school. I'm excited to have you as my adviser!

Best wishes!
Stevie Parris"

I received this reply yesterday at 11:43 AM, while on campus for the New Student Day.

"Hi Stevie-
I just took a look at what MATH 121 courses are still open, as most are closed, but I was able to change you into an earlier section! It's not the one you requested below (that one is still full) but it's during the day and does not conflict with anything on your current schedule.

Have a great day!

Sincerely,
Jenn"

Incredible. I talked to her later that day, and it turned out that when they had scheduled me, night classes were all that were open. However, get this, just recently a single slot had opened earlier in the day, and she was able to slip me into that spot, before it disappeared. If I had contacted her earlier, she wouldn't have been able to help me. If I had contacted her later, there's a good chance that slot would've been filled. Yet, at the moment when I contacted her, God opened that slot, making room for me, just as I prayed.

I expect great things from that Calc class, and I can only begin to describe how excited I am to be a part of Drexel Students of Christ.

Romans 8:31 What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?

Soli Deo Gloria,
Stevie Parris

No comments:

Post a Comment